In today’s era of digital information, businesses deal with overwhelming, massive amounts of data, making data backup essential. There are options to backup on a tape drive, an external hardware or backup servers, however this has drawbacks such as loss/theft, damage, and unwanted takeup of physical storage space.
For those that prefer skipping the physical limitations and drawbacks, cloud cold storage backup services are the new trend and two top cloud backup solutions are rising above others: Amazon Glacier and Google Nearline.
Google further makes differentiators with machine learning based AI tools that clients can implement to analyze backed up data.
Glacier vs. Nearline: Specifications
Retrieval response time
3- 5 hours
Cost of storage
$0.007 ~ 0.01/GB
- Base storage: 1000 TB (1PB)
- Monthly storage addition (Data transfer In): 40 TB
- Monthly retrieval (Data Transfer Out): 40 TB
- Early monthly data overwritten or deleted: 30 TB
- Monthly transfer out cost (basic regions)
- Retrieval speed
- Monthly base storage cost
- Monthly additional 40TB cost
- Monthly overwritten/deletion cost